Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Role Model[s].

Day 15

When I was younger my row models were kind of, sort of, really based on popularity. Even in high school I looked up to people who were prettier then me, cooler, skinnier... you get the picture. Then [while still in high school] I realized what a true role model is. I've had several true role models. Whether they taught me what I should do, shouldn't do, or were completely unaware of their affect on me. They were role models. And still are.

First up to bat...

Mom- She is a woman of great emotional strength. Physical strength she's kind of weak sauce. But emotionally... woman can handle it all. She's taught me lots of great things for the good, but she's also taught me things from her mistakes. Marriage being the main one. Part of her being married... more than a couple of times... has taught me to not settle. To be absolutely certain of who I choose to give my love to. It's also kind of scared me to death to get married. Still though. I love my mom, and she's shown me what it means to sacrifice.

Kelli- First small group leader. She was kind of like my big sister. God brought her into my life when I was at that age of not getting along with my mom. You know... from like 12-16 where you think your parent[s] are the dumbest thing on the planet? I wasn't terrible, and a back talker. However... I did need someone closer to my age that was wise, and loved unconditionally. Enter Kelli. She was the woman's director for K-Life. I absolutely adore[d] her. Kelli slowly got me into wanting to learn more about Christ. I was already a Christian, but I was at a church that kind said "hey get saved!", and then didn't help you grow in your belief. Kelli got that ball rolling. She taught me what it meant to be a Christian. How to be better in my faith. If it wasn't for her consistency and being intentional about hanging out with me, and trying to get me more involved in Bible study and K-Life, I'd probably be some brat twenty-something with a ridiculous lack of faith. She will always be a precious friend to me. If I turn out to be half the woman that she is I'll consider myself blessed.

Reno- Oh Reno... She came into my life my sophomore year of high school. Kelli had moved back to STL, and Reno was hired at K-Life. I did NOT make things easy on her those first few months. I wanted to get to know her, but I was 15. I was pissed off at the world that God had the nerve to jerk Kelli 6 hours away. BUT, Reno was patience with me too. She was with me through a lot of growth [even after she moved to Branson to work Kanakuk full time]. I have a lot of fantastic memories with her.

Callie- Kanakuk director wife. It was an odd thing meeting her. I didn't even know I was missing out on a mentor until I met her. If it wasn't for God bringing sweet Cal into my life I'd probably still be hiding secrets. Regardless of whether I struggle or not Cal has been there for me. When I felt like God was completely incapable of being loved by Jesus... He showed me His love through her. She was that person in my life that I knew I could tell her the deepest, darkest struggles and hurts, and she would love me just as much after the conversation as she did before. I was never afraid to tell her anything.

Not gonna lie... this post kind of bums me out. Obviously I hang out with my mom still. The other 3 amazing women live at least 3 hours away. The thing is... since I graduated college, and had to be an adult and quit working in the summers at Kamp, I've completely lacked an adult mentor. It literally makes my heart ache. I miss those girls. I miss their wisdom. Their advice. It kind of puts me near tears to think about what I'm missing out on by not being around them on a regular basis.

And now I'm going to bed. I've been feeling super alone lately. This post for reminiscing on role models didn't help the situation. Thanks a lot Blog Challenge. Thanks a whole freaking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment